Happy Thanksgiving, tax pros! Before we stuff ourselves with all manner of feast food (remember, Illinois is still the reigning producer of pumpkins, so really, each piece of pumpkin pie you eat is helping the agricultural economy of the state), we wanted to take an opportunity to showcase some of the things that our Tax School community is grateful for over the last year. Like many of you, we at Tax School are thankful for our health, families, and a little relaxation before tax season comes around again. We are also grateful for the over 3,400 followers on our Facebook group, many of whom contributed to this blog by sharing what they’re thankful for.
Like many of you celebrating family, and new babies and grandbabies, I’m thankful that my Thanksgiving table has two extra seats set this year (I’d also be grateful if the increased child tax credit was extended, but I digress).
- I’m thankful for 2 new, healthy grandsons, one born Dec. 2021 & Feb. 2022!
- Every time I see them, talk to them, or merely think of them, I am so thankful for my grandchildren!
- Thankful to be a new grandparent!
- I’m thankful that I’ll see all three of my grandchildren in the same place on Thanksgiving Day. Cousins playing together.
- I am thankful that my Lord and Savior got me through another tax season and for my beautiful grandchildren all 12. We have been blessed with 3 grandsons in the last 12 months.
- I am thankful that I am healthy and still able to continue doing taxes and for my two children as well as my 8 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren I am also very thankful for my boss as I have worked for him for 34 years and he is still going strong at 92 years old.
- Thankful for my family, health, and a new grandson
- My grandchildren. About the only thing that allows me some sanity in all of the chaos of the past few years. My oldest is only 2 1/2 years old and I absolutely enjoy watching her grow and learn to navigate the world. Her little brother is only 2 months old and is just fun to snuggle.
- Thankful for a job I love and being able to help people understand where their money goes. Thankful for my kids and grandkids they give me all the love and peace I need in life
- I am thankful for family and friends. I know, not very original, but we have all been through the worst of times these last couple of years, so I really appreciate those people who have gotten me through it!
- I’m thankful for the support I get from my husband … especially during tax season and especially the past couple of years!
- I am thankful for a very supportive husband
- I’m thankful for my kids. And my oldest just passed the CFP exam on his first attempt!
- I’m thankful for cutting my tax practice to 30-40 clients and live next door to 4 of my 10 grandchildren and help them every day. Long time coming at 73. (40 years of tax work.)
- Thankful for my family & friends, I’m only sane because of them
Of course, we are thankful for our always unpredictable clients and jobs that brings us all together.
- I’m thankful I survived my first tax season!!
- I am thankful for the new copy machine/printer my husband wanted to buy for us and our home offices at the end of January.
- I am thankful for the client who told me “I rock!”
- I am thankful for every client payment.
- Thankful to have survived another tax season and to get ready for a new round. I do love my job security (no one else wants to do it)
- I am thankful for all of the wonderful clients I have worked with over many years. You answer their questions so they can rest easy, are there when they need you, celebrate births and marriages with them and offer sympathy when they experience losses. They become friends who also are concerned with your health and wellbeing and have shown it by bringing a meal or special treat to the office during tax season. I feel truly blessed by the clients I have been able to provide services to.
- I’m thankful I’m not in jail…exercised restraint in causing bodily harm to certain unnamed PITA tax clients in 2022.
- I am thankful for the 90+% of my dad’s clients who remained with me after his passing in 2018. Their faith in my abilities really meant a great deal to me in my early days as a solo practitioner.
- I’m thankful I had over 50 extensions that while taxing allowed me to make my seasonal job into “year round” income and not do a side gig for the first time!
At Tax School, we always appreciate some good-natured pandering (and good food, but that’s neither here nor there.)
- Thankful for a firm of very capable professionals and for resources and educational opportunities provided by University of Illinois Tax School.
- I’m thankful for my team and for this group for being the light in the darkness sometimes during tax season.
- I am thankful for my family, my health, a roof over my head and food on the table. Thankful for the great instructors at U of I Tax School for keeping up on all the changes in tax laws and explaining them to us at tax school!!
- I’m honestly just grateful that I’m getting a jump start on the upcoming tax season with resources like this group and all the courses that are available
- Thankful for friends and family and clients. Thankful for our heath. Thankful for University of Illinois Tax School for their training.
- I am thankful for tax season, University of Illinois for teaching Tax School, for clients to help at tax time, of course God and family!
- I am thankful for my family and the opportunity to have my own business. I am also thankful for the U of I Tax School keeping me up to date on all the latest changes. Also for the CPE credit!
- I am thankful for U of I (Chicago) for my Bachelor’s degree, which allowed me to pursue a career I love and for U of I Tax School to keep me current in that career!
Many of us are thankful for our health and hopefully seeing the light at the end of the Covid tunnel.
- I am thankful that I didn’t have any broken bones during tax season in 2022
- Mine isn’t about taxes- I am thankful for restored health after a 3-year battle. Looking forward to tax time…
- I’m thankful to be meeting with clients in person again.
- Thankful for good & loyal clients! Thankful that we weren’t terribly affected by the virus like many businesses were.
- I am thankful that even though I had Covid and was out sick for three weeks during tax season in a 2-person office, we still managed to get through the season with only a few more extensions than normal.
- I’m thankful that my husband is doing well. Right after tax season he almost died. I’m also thankful that he waited until after tax season to get sick, it’s been wonderful being to able to support him through his cancer treatment.
- I am thankful life is getting back to normal and our entire family can get together for Thanksgiving!
And, lastly, we are grateful for some much-deserved self-care and relaxation.
- I am thankful for my family, colleagues and Yellowstone coming back!
- I’m grateful that I’m able to take some much needed me time! Enjoying some non-tax reading & knitting some Covid started projects!
Have a very wonderful holiday however and with whomever you choose to spend it!
By Kelly Golish, CPA
University of Illinois Tax School
Assistant Director, Tax Materials